The API-led approach followed to improve the native integration with proprietary and third-party solutions
ITAS, a leading Italian insurance company, has been working on updating its solution architecture and applications to improve integration with proprietary and third-party solutions.
ITAS’ main objectives were to:
• develop a new business model based on native integration;
• enable integration between legacy systems with both internal and third-party applications;
• approach the insurance market from a different angle.
ITAS called on Fincons Group, a long-term partner with key experience in system integration in the insurance sector, to help them achieve their objectives.
Fincons adopted an API-led approach enabled by the switch to Mule 4 to increase API reusability. This approach is based on building a catalog of system APIs, designed to interact with back-end systems. These are simple “building block” APIs and are designed so that they can be reused to form: more complex process APIs that are typically built to perform a specific task, and experience APIs, that interact with individual touchpoints and require a significant reuse of system and process APIs.
More than 1.800 APIs have been built to date: 1.051 relative to liability, 216 to claims, 41 to life, 120 to portals and 389 to cross-processes.
As a result of the adoption of the API catalog, ITAS has been able to add the following features to its platform:
- a policies browser to view up-to-date policy details;
- quick quotation for certain enabled products;
- portfolio consolidation;
- a policies list to view and updated list of life / liability insurance policies active for each customer;
- third party integrations with companies’ systems (other insurance companies, postal services and telecoms).